In 1837, at the beginning of New York City’s evolution as the financial center of the world, the genesis of what would become a world renowned culinary institution, Delmonico’s Restaurant, was set. A small shop selling classically prepared pastries, fine coffee and chocolate, bonbons, wines and liquors as well as Havana cigars was operated by the Delmonico brothers. Its success led them to purchase a triangular plot of land at the intersection of Beaver, William and South William Streets where, in 1837, they opened the first fine dining restaurant in the country.
Delmonico’s offered an unheard of luxury – the availability of private dining rooms (located on the third floor) where discriminate entertaining was the order of the day. The basement held the restauranteur’s treasure, the largest private wine cellar in the city, holding an impressive 1,000 bottles of the world’s finest wines. It was during these early years that Chef Alessandro Fellippini began to develop the restaurant’s culinary identity with the house special, Delmonico Steak.
Today, we continue to serve a prime cut of beef, prepared to the original specifications. It truly is the only authentic Delmonico Steak served in the United States. In 1862, Charles Ranhofer was named Chef de Cuisine inventing many original dishes during his time at our stoves. He is most noted for his innovative creations, Eggs Benedict, Baked Alaska, Lobster Newburg and Chicken A la Keene. These dishes remain on the Delmonico’s menu today.
With a mission to make Delmonico’s Wall Street’s premiere fine dining Restaurant, the 56 Beaver Street location has been renovated to assume the opulence of its early years. Our welcoming portico remains supported by the original Pompeian pillars, our private dining rooms welcome the discreet, the wine cellar is filled to the rafters, and the cuisine, is, as promised in 1837, the finest the city has to offer.
Location: 56 Beaver St, New York, NY 10004